A PDF file copy of the February Summary Minutes are also here.
Summary Minutes of the Branch Meeting held on 23rd February 2023
Prostate Cancer (PC) gave an excellent presentation on the work they are doing voluntarily on behalf of PC and their charity efforts to raise awareness and funds. The President thanked both John and Sally for attending our branch meeting.
Minutes of branch meeting held on the 26th January 2023
Agreed as a true record.
- Solidarity March in Northampton, February 9th 2023
- Banner Theatre – ref. new up-and-coming productions in 2023
- Membership correspondence – seeking advice
- EMNP – update on activities, minutes, and agenda’s
- Cuba Solidarity – update on campaigns
- GMB Asbestos Register
- Request for speaker from Prostate Cancer
- Avaas – global update
- Kettering LP – Keli Watts election victory
- Labour Research – research updates and case studies
- Payment made to Martin Allen – letter of thanks received
- Phil Roper – vacancies in the Southern Region.
- Chain makers festival – 1st July 2023
- Northants TUC – In Defiance March in May
- Avaas – Turkish earthquake – impact on people
- Phil Roper – Central Executive Mins
- Adelle Atkiss – Regional Council Mins
- Corby Film Festival 25th February 2023
- Correspondence from Northants taxi drivers – update on their dispute with NNC
- Pelacraft payment receipt
- Nicaragua – global update
- Notification of TUC safety rep. courses
- GMB Congress 2023 – correspondence – unsuccessful nomination of Branch Secretary
- NN Journal – various news items.
- Affiliation to Northants TUC
- Update on Honorarium Payments to branch Reps.
- Secretary reported on the need to have more Accompanying Reps in the branch.
- Report on meeting with Corby Prospective Parliamentary candidate Lee Barron. Lee is a GMB member. Member pointed out that Cllr Matt Keane, is another, (declared candidate) and a GMB member.
- Member advised the branch about Rosie Writing, (another candidate) and her experience of working with young people.
- Member sought clarification on her being a delegate to the Kettering Constituency LP – not heard anything. Secretary to speak with the KCLP and report back to branch.
- Member also reported on the recent election victory for Keli Watts – “a thumping majority”.
- Member, (going back to previous issue, re. Accompanying Reps.) willing to continue with being a Rep after her refresher course in March 2023.
- Member expressed her concern about Regional Council meetings, all being scheduled for Stoke. She is not prepared to travel that distance. Other members supported those concerns. Secretary to write to Region and report back to the branch.
- Up-date on Workers Memorial Day, 29th April 2023.
- Q4 audit will be presented to Audit Officers in the coming days.
Digital Communications Officers Report
Website activity for last 30 days: we had 144 (-67) website visits (sessions) by 126 (-35) people (users) and they viewed 561 (-378) pages.
News Items Added to Website: GMB 5 DAY EQUALITY COURSE MARCH IN MARCH NORTHAMPTON GMB HEALTH & SAFETY STAGE 2 COURSE MAUREEN COLQUHOUN MEMORIAL LECTURE PROTECT THE RIGHT TO STRIKE SUMMARY OF BRANCH MEETING 260123 TREATMENT OF BLACK WORKERS SINCE THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC LOCKDOWNS FEBRUARY 2023 BRANCH MEETING NEW TUC SAFETY REP INTRODUCTORY COURSES FOR WOMEN AND BLACK MEMBERS
Weebly website hosting has been free for many years, I have been notified there will be an introduction of yearly charge from 14th March of about £60 to continue using our connected domain of gmbnorthants.org. We would continue to also pay £20 per year for the domain name.
WhatsApp Group has 32 members (+0)
The February email newsletter was sent out on Saturday the 18th February to 1,556 members (December list) and has been opened by 635 members, a 40.6% opening rate
Twitter: 753 (+9) Followers. Last 28 days: Tweets viewed (impressions) 619 (+31.4%) Profile visits 99
Facebook: 273 (-2) Followers. Last 28 days: Posts seen by (reach) 70 (-70.3%) people. Page views 90 (+19%).
Accompanying Reps Report (ARs)
Secretary reported on his recent cases. More physical meetings are being held which means he has to travel. Expenses can be claimed from branch funds.
Member doing a refresher course is good news. Member expressed an interest in doing the refresher course. Member confirmed it is the 15th/16th March 2023. Another member also happy to do the refresher course.
Branch discussion regarding of honorarium payments,
Any Other Business
- Member reported on her visit/support on the picket line recently.
- Reported on her march for Wellingborough trees.
- Member reported on NNC budget forecast for next year.
- Member gave an up-date on Corby Trades Council. New Secretary and President and that meetings will be open to people from East Northants Kettering and Wellingborough. Next meeting March 2nd in Corby.
- Reminder of march in Northampton, date, March 11th, 2023.
- Member – “good news on the Trades Council.”
- By-election in Rusden on the 23rd March 2023.