A PDF file copy of the January Summary Minutes are also here.
SUMMARY MINUTES OF THE BRANCH MEETING HELD ON 26th january 2023
Organiser Kettering Ambulance Service – reported on recent industrial action. NG thanked the branch for their support on the picket line. First action taken in 30 years against a derisory pay offer made by this government. NG reminded people that we are fighting for the survival of the NHS. She said that pay wasn’t the main issue – it’s patient care! Demand is greater now than at any time in the past and the pressure on staff is demoralising. The pay offer goes nowhere near offering them enough to deal with the economic crisis and members are really struggling. NG gave an excellent report on the dispute and took questions from members afterwards. She thanked the branch for their support (biscuits included) and welcomed any further support where needed.
- Cuba solidarity (correspondence over 2 months)
- Labour Research (law updates)
- 2023 Diaries (delivered)
- International Transport Workers (repeat emails)
- Banner Theatre, payment agreed by the branch
- Nicaragua (monthly update)
- Regional Equalities Meeting – 16th January 2023
- Further information on Congress 2023
- Phil Roper – Corby Trades Council affiliation
- RO (several pieces of correspondence over 2 months)
- East Midlands Pensioners (several pieces of correspondence over 2 months)
- EMPC – continue affiliation2023.
- Invoice received from Pelecraft (paid)
- National Pensioners EC mins and reports
- Nicaragua update
- Membership enquiries (work concerns)
- Homestart – letter of thanks for donation
- CEC minutes 11th October 2022
- Correspondence from CCLP – re. bi election in Kettering
- Reports from NG – reports for our website
- Wortley Hall – Xmas greetings
- Banner Theatre – new plays for 2023
- RO – National Policy Guide Update
- Correspondence from RO – visitors’ tickets for Congress 2023 (none requested)
- Honorarium payments 2023 (branch offers agreed to sign off). It should be noted that payments to the branch and individuals will be reduced by 2.5%
- War on Want – Palestinian Rights.
- Correspondence, Corby Trades Council – Gordon to report later
- Wortley Hall production, 2nd February 2023
- Homestart – Xmas greetings
- Holocaust Memorial – 29th January, Corby
- Workers Memorial – Secretary to report later. Secretary wrote to Gary Smith with an invite but unfortunately, he couldn’t make but wants to meet the branch in 2023
- CS – Sports appeal to get resources for the kids over to Cuba
- GMB vacancy – HR Officer, National Office
- Request from Adele Atkiss – PA to Martin Allen – donation for run. Prostate Cancer - £xx donation agreed.
- Correspondence from Corby TU – to write to our MP
- Pensioners Convention – Protest march to Downing Street – impact of the economic crisis on older people
- Campaign against Climate Change – Donation of £xx agreed
- Labour Research – pay bargaining.
- Regional Council Mins
- David Castledine – support the Amazon Workers
- Workers Memorial Day 2023. 29th April 2023. Secretary has had several meetings with PB to put on a play – Lives lost at work! The proposal is to write and direct a play with approximately 4/5 actors that reflects the impact of a fatality at work on a family. It will also reflect on how things (if any!) have change today. The play will take approx. 45/60 mins with music. Good response from the branch who thought it is a good way to celebrate workers memorial after 25 years. Branch agreed a budget £xxx and contact Region to contribute.
- Secretary visited the picket lines in the locality – biscuits included. Spirits were high and our support was welcomed.
- Thanks to Digital Officer, keeping the website updated with reports.
- Report on the ‘special meeting held on the 19th January to report on the Secretaries trip to Cuba.
- Canvassing with Kettering LP – Keli Watts.
Our President has now finished her Employment Law course. Jackie really enjoyed the course, and the branch expressed their appreciation and how this will support her in her role as an Accompanying Rep.
Regional Committee report (December 2022) accepted.
Our President also reported on the wave of industrial action from smaller companies who do not get the publicity that the big disputes are receiving. She commented that the TUC needs to mobilise the whole movement to fight this government. Good debate from President’s report!
Digital Communications Officers Report
Website activity for last 30 days: we had 211 (+96) website visits (sessions) by 161 (+63) people (users) and they viewed 939 (+574) pages.
New Year Message has had 192 page views
News Items Added to Website: GMB MIDLANDS REGIONAL EQUALITY CONFERENCE 2023 HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL DAY - CORBY CUBA TALK THURSDAY 19TH JANUARY 2023 AMBULANCE WORKERS STRIKE JAN 2023 GMB NORTHANTS NEW YEAR MESSAGE 2023 SUMMARY OF BRANCH MEETING 241122 JANUARY 2023 BRANCH MEETING GMB ARE STANDING WITH OUR AMAZON WORKERS OUR RIGHT TO STRIKE IS UNDER ATTACK.
WhatsApp Group has 32 members (+0)
The January email newsletter was sent out on Sunday 22nd January to 1,569 members (December list) and has been opened by 679 members, a 43.5% opening rate
Twitter: 744 (+13) Followers. Last 28 days: Tweets viewed (impressions) 470 (+1,640%) Profile visits 470 (+121.3%) Top Tweet was Kettering Ambulance Picket Line = 315 impressions
Facebook: 275 (+4) Followers. Last 28 days: Posts seen by (reach) 231 (+507.9%) people. Page views 39 (+44.4%).
Equality Officers Report
Report from Equalities Officer(EO) – Regional Equalities Forum. The push will be to get our equalities commitments discharged through our Development Plan for 2023. Looking to do some anti-race training later in the year.
Our EO elected to Women’s Strand Lead.
Regional Organisers Report (RO)
- RO to work out some workplace visits for the General Secretary when he visits this year.
- Report on meeting with the Leader NNC
- West Northants
- Member settlements with employers
- Northants Trades Council
Accompanying Reps Report
Secretary reported on his recent cases.
Any Other Business
Up-date on progress of Corby Trades Council.
They have an AGM on the 2nd February 2023.
Update on meeting with Regional TUC which have been productive.
It’s likely now that there will be a new Secretary. Further reports at our next meeting.