GMB Northants Community Branch
Secretary, Alan Irwin
Summary Minutes of the branch meeting held on 27th October 2021
- Minutes of branch meeting 29th September 2021
Agreed as a true record, except for one amendment.
- Matters Arising
No matters arising – covered in subsequent Officers reports
Branch Secretary read out correspondence received since last meeting.
- Mostly from War on Want. Secretary reported that he had contacted WOW for them to speak at a future ‘informal’ meeting. They have agreed to come back to us after COP26 with some dates.
- Requests for funding from:
- Wicksteed Park- Celebrating diversity – 2022. Agreed to wait to hear more about this event
- Banner Theatre- contribution towards next production – Agreed £200
- Correspondence from member re. pressure from employee to get double vaccinated. Rachelle reported on updates
- CEC mins. Secretary to report in his report.
- Mental Health Training and IT training circulated
- Correspondence from Region re. CLP delegates
- Journals received from, CS, Labour Research.
- Secretary’s Report
- Secretary reported that he had contacted local Reps about future Zoom meetings and receiving workplace reports. Poor response back.
- Secretary reported that he had a useful meeting with region for branch account training and that he would be doing his first quarterly report next month.
- Meeting with Matalan stewards.
- CEC minutes, 7th September. Secretary highlighted issues for branch discussion and feedback. Those highlighted included: workplace disputes; campaign and organising; subscriptions; restructuring of NO; finance report; equalities report; Labour Party – future funding conference – special CEC; to consider a Memorial Day to mark the lives of GMB members who have lost their lives to Covid, branch funds. Good discussion on ‘branch funds’ currently standing at 10M. It was generally agreed that our branch did not hold ‘excessive sums in both accounts that we operate, and that money was spent in the right places to support organisations.
- Secretary raised whether the branch was intending to have an event to mark Holocaust Memorial Day. Secretary to report progress at next branch meeting. Tom reported what had been done in previous years with CBC and suggested we contact the Labour Group for North Northants to see what they are doing. FTO would also contact HR at North Northants.
- Secretary to attend Branch Development meeting on the 8th of November.
- Financial Report
- Presidents Report
President reported on an excellent Women’s Conference and highlighted the Karon Monaghan QC report for special attention.
- Digital Communications Officers Report
- Website activity for last 30 days was at our usual levels: we had 130 website visits (sessions) by 109 people (users) and they viewed 404 pages
- News Items Added to Website:
- Regional Women’s Conference
- Retirement Gift for Gordon
- Rachelle’s Schools radio interview
- Agenda and Minutes
- WhatsApp Group has 32 members (+2)
- The October email newsletter was sent out on Tuesday the 26th October to a total of 1563 members and has been opened by 445 members, a 28.6% opening rate to date.
- Twitter: 693 (-1) Followers. Last 28 days: Tweets viewed (impressions) 59(+15.7%) Profile visits 18(-40%)
- Facebook: 165(+3) Likes & 206(+4) Followers. Last 28 days: Posts seen by (reach) 42(+14%) people. Page views 10 (+25%). Post engagements 4 (-20%)
- Zoom subscription renewed to 22nd October 2022 for £107.90
- All future courses to be put on website for members to apply.
- Equality Officers Report
Full and comprehensive delegates presented by the Branch Equalities Officer (EO)
- Women’s Conference – excellent day. There was a broad spectrum of issues discussed and debated but special focus was on the menopause campaign. More specifically, treatments and ‘the need to know’ with a whole raft of campaign material coming through.
- Fringe meetings were good, especially WASPI. It was suggested it would be good to have them at one of our meetings. To be followed up.
- Women asking for more education and training days, hopefully dates to be confirmed.
- Already thinking about themes for International Women’s Day.
- The branch has contacted workplaces regarding us launching campaigns in the workplace. The EO reported that it was going well with special thanks those who have supported her re. workplaces. Full-time Officer (FTO) to contact North Northants to start an awareness campaign, plans already drafted up.
- Youth Officers Report
No report – apologies reported.
- Race Officers Report
No report taken.
- Regional Organisers Report
Full and comprehensive report received from the FTO
- Accompanying Reps Report
The Secretary reported that he was still representing members, mostly on disciplinary cases in the workplaces, some of which have now been done physically and with some success in keeping members in employment.
- Workplace Reports
No report taken
- Any Other Business
- Requested that at the next meeting in November we discuss possible dates for physical meetings to be introduced in 2020. Agreed.
- Raised the issue that was discussed at the previous meeting in relation to funding local football teams. The Secretary reported that he did not have any success with enquiries he had made to get external funding through sources he had worked with in football as this now has been centralised through Grass Routes Football operated by the FA and other bodies.
- Raised the question about future ‘informal’ meetings and whether we should continue/re-introduce. It was generally felt that they were a good forum for us to chat on whatever subject. Branch to ask WASPI if they can join us. Hopefully a date to follow!