Below are the summary minutes of the meeting. Full minutes are sent to regular attendees and available from the branch secretary
A PDF file copy of June Summary Minutes are here
GMB Northants Community Branch
Secretary: Alan Irwin
Summary Minutes of the Branch Meeting held on 30th June 2022
Matters Arising No matters arising – covered in subsequent Officers reports.
- Home start, Annual Review, 8th July 2022.
- Home start, Big Give Funding.
- NPC – webinar, 16th June 2022.
- NPC – EC reports.
- Gordon – Accompanying Rep.
- AVAAZ – Bert Wander – campaigns.
- Friends & Bredins – Prostate Cancer Support – group cycle 1st July 2022 – Agreed £xxx donation.
- Nicaragua – Summer Appeal.
- Banner Theatre – new videos.
- AVAAZ – Ukraine.
- Region – Mental Health First Aid.
- Cllr Leanne Buckingham, Knife Angel.
- Corby Trades Council.
- AVAAZ – USA, Supreme Court ruling on abortion.
- Nicaragua – Women Facing Hybrid Warfare.
- Cuba Solidarity – Agreed to continue affiliation.
- Labour Party – raffle.
- Correspondence, Alex Norris MP, meeting 30th June 2022 in Northampton – Labour’s Policy Going Forward.
- Corby Trades Council – meeting 4th July 2022 to resurrect Council after 20 years +. Secretary to attend.
- Accompanying Reps training – Secretary reported that the response was poor and we should look to re-schedule later in the year.
- RMT – visit to the picket line. Statement from the Secretary on the union website. It was mentioned that the RMT leader Mick Lynch has an association with Corby. Concern expressed about some LP Ministers views on attending picket lines.
- Unitary Council – Tory councillors have awarded themselves 11% pay rise. A comprehensive report on the concerns was raised by Labour councillors on the unitary council. Report of activity on Corby Town Council. Member raised her concerns about staff she had spoken to in the West Northants, re. staffing issues.
- Member spoke about what Cllrs used to receive when he was a County Cllr. “no justification for these excessive sums”. Member reported on pay awards to Cllrs that can be challenged. Report on LP campaigning in Kettering.
- Matalan – Secretary reported on recent meetings at the Corby plant.
- Letters from a members
- Proposals made by the Secretary for discussion and edit which were sent out to members who normally attend branch meetings. Secretary proceeded through the documents for comments. Proposal regarding more money to foodbanks was discussed without firm agreement at this stage. It was agreed that the Secretary meet with the branch auditor to discuss the budget in its entirety and make firm proposals to next meeting. Secretary to arrange meeting and report back.
- Request on behalf of Home start where we already have a standing order. They have no core funding and have recently lost funding. Branch agreed one-off payment to their ‘BIG GIVE’ fund raising, £xxx pledged and continue with standing order.
- President applied to TUC to do an Employment Law online course. Branch wished her all the best with her studies.
Digital Communications Officers Report
- Website activity for last 30 days: we had 163 (+20) website visits (sessions) by 128 (+12) people (users) and they viewed 548 (+0) pages.
- News Items Added to Website:
- MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID COURSE JULY 2022, CORBY TRADES COUNCIL - MEETING JULY 2022, SUMMARY OF BRANCH MEETING 260522, RMT PICKET LINES JUNE 2022, BRANCH MEETING REGIONAL ORGANISER - MIDLANDS REGION, BANNER THEATRE SALTLEY GATE TO PARTYGATE, RMT PICKET LINE KETTERING.
- WhatsApp Group has 31 members (+2)
- The June email newsletter was sent out on Saturday 25th June to 1,576 members and has been opened by 616 members, a 39.3% opening rate.
- Twitter: 713 (+6) Followers. Last 28 days: Tweets viewed (impressions) 84 (-58.8%) Profile visits 287(+27%)
- Facebook: 216 (+7) Likes & 263 (+8) Followers. Last 28 days: Posts seen by (reach) 28 (-51%) people. Page views 10 (+67%). Post engagements 4 (-43%)
Equality Officers Report
- Branch equalities officer reported that our Regional Equalities Officer, Tyehimba Nosakhere has been promoted to a National post which may leave the “region in a state of flux” for the foreseeable future.
- Congress up-date – delegate made her first report to congress, re. the Monaghan Report. Congress looked at subs in the future bearing in mind how people are struggling with domestic budgets. Significant discussion on equal pay, particularly local authorities.
- Once again, the Secretary reported that he was still busy representing members, mostly by Teams/Zoom.
- President reported on her recent case which she represented.
- Next meeting Thursday 28th July 2022